Monday, November 9, 2009

Cupcakes are my crack

Cooking is the one thing in my life that always makes me happy. I love everything about it. Taking little bits of this and little bits of that and turning them into something delicious (or sometimes not so delicious), make recipes my own by altering them to delight my palette (and occasionally my waistline), I even enjoy the math involved in converting a recipe for 12 down to 2.

Basically, I’m looking for outlet for my creative energy. My job as an administrative assistant at an Investment management firm just isn’t cutting it anymore (or ever).

I thought I’d kick this blog off with an old favorite, the cupcake. I consider myself a cupcake aficionado, there isn’t a cupcake that I’ve met that I haven’t been wiling to take a bite out of. That being said, my favorite favorite favorite is the amazing vanilla cupcake from Southport Grocery. I have found 1 recipe to come close to this, the Magnolia Bakery cupcake.

The recipe as it’s written makes 24 cupcakes or 1 9” layer cake. I don’t need 24 cupcakes, so I modified it to make 6; I have included the original recipe with measurements for 6 or for the entire 2 dozen.

The Magnolia Bakery Cupcake
• ¼ c. + 2 Tablespoon self rising flour – (1 ½ c.)
• ¼ c. + 1 Tablespoon All-purpose flour – (1 ¼ c.)
• ¼ c. unsalted butter, softened – (1 c.)
• ½ c. sugar – (2 c.)
• 1 large egg, at room temperature – (4 eggs)
• ¼ c. milk – (1 c.)
• Splash of vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line muffin tins, 1/2 c. capacity, with cupcake papers.

In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after.



Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.

Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.

Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes.  Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

These cupcakes aren’t worth making if you don’t make the frosting along with them. It’s the best frosting ever. Teresa is a professional frosting taster.  You should call her and invite her over when you make these cupcakes.


• ¼ c. Unsalted Butter, softened – (1c.)
• 2 c. confectioners’ (powdered) sugar – (6 to 8 c.)
• 2 tablespoons milk – (1/2 c.)
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (2 teaspoons)

Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.


This frosting can also be frozen to use at a later date, however you won’t be able to frost cupcakes or a cake with it as the frosting will have set. I made some for my friend Nicole and she froze it and continues to take a little out at a time to make cookie sandwiches...because she's fat.


9 comments:

  1. As soon as I get a kitchen I'm making some cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I just had these cupcakes and they are amazing! I just hope they will be this good when I make them...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a cupcake last night and did not want the pleasure to end!! Oreos used to be my "crack" but now these cupcakes are... they beat anyone cupcakes I've tried!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spit lemonade all over my monitors reading the last paragraph. Clearly Nicole isn't fat... but it was the Michelle humor that did it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm officially a follower of you! Go shel...love NG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle + desserts = fat nora

    ReplyDelete